July is Disability Pride Month, a commemoration of the signing of the landmark Americans with Disabilities Act in 1990, and since then, to celebrate the identities, culture and contributions of people with disabilities in the United States and worldwide. This year, the Center for Students with Disabilities would like to invite the UConn community to join us in marking this important time by reading The Secret Life of a Black Aspie, an exciting new memoir from writer Anand Prahlad, that explores the author’s autism and Black cultural identity.
CSD would also like to invite our colleagues to attend an open house on Wednesday, July 26, from 1:00 – 3:00 p.m. in our office, Room 204 of the Wilbur Cross building. We’ll provide ice cream and hope to be able to offer some assistive technology demonstrations, answer questions about assessments and scheduling, and just have a chance to talk with you. Please rsvp to email@example.com if you plan to attend. We look forward to seeing you!
For more information, contact: Tim Smagacz at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The ASL Learning Community was highlighted on Fox 61! Check it out here!
Virtual Admitted and Prospective Student Information Sessions for Fall 2022 and Spring 2023
CSD will host virtual admitted and prospective student information sessions in the fall and spring semesters. Sessions will introduce high school students to the Center for Students with Disabilities (CSD) at UConn and discuss the differences between high school and college accommodation request and coordination processes. Additionally, information about CSD’s enhanced services program, Beyond Access, will be shared. There will also be an opportunity to ask questions. We look forward to meeting you!
Virtual prospective student information sessions dates/times:
Fall 2022: Prospective Student Sessions
**all sessions will be held from 2:00pm-4:00pm**
- Monday October 10, 2022
- Tuesday October 25, 2022
- Friday November 11, 2022
- Wednesday November 30, 2022
Spring 2023: Prospective/Admitted Student Sessions
**all sessions will be held from 2:00pm-4:00pm
- Monday February 20, 2023
- Tuesday March 7, 2023
- Thursday March 23, 2023
- Friday April 7, 2023
- Wednesday April 12, 2023
- Tuesday April 18, 2023
If you are interested in attending one of the above dates email email@example.com to reserve a space and receive a link to the session.
UConn and CSD recognize the importance of supporting neurodivergent students’ unique needs in their pursuit of internships and post-graduation employment.
We are excited to share a Neurodiversity Employment Pilot Program using a tool called Mentra which you can now use to match with job and internship opportunities at companies that seek and value your neurodiversity!
How does Mentra help you?
- Mentra’s platform helps you develop a holistic profile of yourself that supplements your resume and better captures your strengths and accommodations needs
- Mentra automatically matches you with employers educated in neurodiversity inclusion for positions that align with your profile, and sends them your information
- You can also independently express interest in any roles posted on the platform
- Mentra provides guidance and mentorship to candidates to ensure job readiness
Please register in TWO places:
- The link to register with UConn’s Center for Neurodiversity and Employment Innovation is here. By registering, you will receive information about this pilot and other neurodiversity employment opportunities.
- The link for participating in the pilot program is here.