Reduced Courseload

Enrollment status is based on the following University of Connecticut credit requirements (

Status Undergraduate Students Graduate Students
Full-time 12 or more credits
  • 9 or more credits
  • 6 or more credits and Graduate Assistantship
  • 3 credit course 5960, 6960, 5930 or 6930
3/4 Time 9-11 credits  6.75-8 credits
Half-time 6-8 credits 5-6.5 credits
Less than half-time Fewer than 6 credits Fewer than 5 credits

Based on the nature and functional limitations of a student’s disability, they may be eligible to take less than a full-time courseload while still maintaining full-time status.

Students who may qualify for a reduced courseload may include:

  • Students with mobility disabilities or those who work with personal assistants;
  • Students following a strict medication or treatment regimen;
  • Students with significant energy limitations;
  • Students with significant processing disorders.

Students with disabilities who are enrolled in less than 12 credits will be packaged for eligible aid based on cost of attendance and federal regulations.  Students should be aware that:

  • Federal regulations require that Federal Pell Grant funds be prorated based on the number of credits taken, and that the student financial aid package is reduced accordingly.
  • To borrow under the Federal Stafford Loan program, or to have a previous loan deferred, students must be enrolled for a minimum of six credits.
  • With the exception of the Pell Grant, it is the University’s policy that students must be enrolled at least half-time (see table above above) to receive financial aid.
  • For more information about financial aid, please visit


  1. Prior to making a decision regarding an appropriate courseload each semester, speak to a financial aid counselor to discuss the implications of this accommodation: (860) 486-2819 or  Students are also encouraged to review Frequently Asked Questions tab for additional information.
  2. If you are enrolled in fewer than 12 credits, notify your Disability Service Provider (DSP) PRIOR to the start of the semester.
  3. The CSD will provide verification of students who are approved for a reduced courseload with full-time status to the following University offices each semester: Registrar’s, Financial Aid, Recreation Services, Veterans Affairs and Military Programs (for Veterans).
  4. Students seeking verification of enrollment status should contact Records and Enrollment Services in the Office of the Registrar at (860) 486-3331 or
  5. Students are encouraged to inform their academic advisors if they are approved for this accommodation in order to assist with course planning each semester.

Any questions regarding this procedure should be directed to Jennifer Lucia, Associate Director, at (860) 486-2020 or

Frequently Asked Questions regarding Reduced Courseloads:

University policy requires that financial aid and scholarships are based on a fixed enrollment date (the tenth day of classes) each semester.  The tenth day of classes is the last day on which you are able to add/drop via the Student Administration System.  The amount of your financial aid awards and/or University scholarship for the semester will be based on the number of credits you are enrolled in on that date.  If you drop credits DURING the add/drop period, you may be required to repay some or all of your aid that was disbursed to you if, as of the fixed enrollment date, you no longer meet the enrollment requirements for the types of aid you have been awarded.  If you drop a class AFTER the tenth day of classes, and receive a W in that class, neither your billing status nor your financial aid status will be adjusted.  However, you may not be in compliance with Satisfactory Academic Progress guidelines for the next academic year.

No.  Any enrolled, degree-seeking, resident student with a disability who is approved for a reduced courseload by the CSD can retain their on-campus housing despite taking less than 12 credits.

Under the Affordable Care Act of 2010, regulations regarding health care coverage of dependents changed.  Please contact your health insurance provider directly for their policies and procedures regarding coverage.  Ordinarily students who are covered under their parents or guardians health insurance must provide verification that they are enrolled full time.  The CSD does not provide this verification to insurance companies.  Rather, students may obtain verification of enrollment from the Office of the Registrar in the Wilbur Cross Building or at