- National Information Center for Children and Youth with Disabilities:
- National Organization on Disability
- National Center on Secondary Education and Transition
- Missouri Association on Higher Education and Disability (MOAHEAD):
What Parents Can Do to Help Students with Disabilities Prepare for Postsecondary Education
- Special Education Resources on the Internet (SERI)
- Connecticut Special Education Resource Center (SERC)
- Family Village
- “Opening Doors to Postsecondary Education and Training: Planning for Life After High School” – Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction
- Moving ahead – Transition Resources for Everyone
The successful transition of students with disabilities to, through and beyond college is a team effort. AHEAD (Association on Higher Education And Disability) offers the following to students, parents, professionals and employers so that all are aware of the wide range of resources that are available.
- Transition to College: Strategic Planning to Ensure Success for Students with Learning Disabilities by the National Center for Learning Disabilities
Transition is one of the many areas that the reauthorization of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA 2004) impacts. This brief can help you understand the requirements and opportunities included in the law so that you can successfully plan and help your child prepare for his or her future.
- Questions and Answers on Disability Discrimination under Section 504 and Title II
- “College Students and Disability Law” by Stephen Thomas
Comprehensive article about Section 504, ADA, qualifying as a ‘person with a disability’, admission, accommodations, and dismissal. Includes guidelines for higher education practitioners; legal references.
- Policy Statement: Disability Harassment in Colleges (U.S. Department of Education)
Planning and Preparation for College
- College Planning for Students with Learning Disabilities
- Getting Ready for College: Advising Students with Learning Disabilities
- Resources for College Students with LD or AD/HD (Schwab Learning)
- Financial Aid Guides and Resources (Schwab Learning)
- Know How 2 GO Connecticut (www.knowhowtoGOCT.org) An interactive website that lists the steps that students should follow, beginning in middle school, when getting for post-secondary education.
- College Week Live (www.collegeweeklive.com) A free interactive online college fair with more than 200 colleges participating from around the world. College Week Live occurs yearly in November and March.
Keys to Success in College
- Assessing and Improving Study Skills and Strategies
- Self-Advocacy for College Students
- “Success in College for Adults with Learning Disabilities” from Heath Resource Center
- Tips for College Bound High School Students with Diagnosed Learning Disabilities