Beyond Access (BA) is an opportunity for you to work smarter, not harder in a competitive academic environment while also preparing for life beyond college. The goals of your individually designed program are to help you understand, achieve, and develop a pathway to success.
- Work one-on-one with a trained Strategy Instructor for one to three hours a week.
- Create a customized program that matches your learning style, and personal and academic goals.
- Develop and enhance your academic, social and life skills including time and stress management, reading, writing and math strategies, self-advocacy, memory and concentration, social skills, health and wellness, and career preparation.
As this program goes beyond the legislative mandates, in order to provide the necessary materials and resources, participation in this program includes a rate of:
- Track I (1 hour per week) - $1,800 per semester.
- FLEX Track I (1.5 hours per week) - $2,200 per semester.
- Track II (2 hours per week) - $2,700 per semester.
- Track III (3 hours per week) - $3,600 per semester.
Goals of Beyond Access
- To help students identify strengths and challenges in both their academic and personal life.
- To increase awareness of strategies, skills, and technologies for application in and out of the classroom.
- To create a positive learning environment through active networking and communication amongst students, staff, faculty and parents and family members.
- To help students build the self-determination needed to advocate for themselves on campus.
Meet our Beyond Access team
Our Beyond Access team includes professional staff members who supervise the program and graduate students who serve as Strategy Instructors (SIs). The Strategy Instructors come from a wide variety of disciplines including the NEAG School of Education (Special Education, School Psychology, Adult Learning, etc.), School of Social Work, Department of Communication, and Department of Psychology. The Strategy Instructors are all working towards their master's and/or doctoral degrees and have experience working with students with disabilities in either a classroom or one-on-one setting. They attend a comprehensive training related to working with students in the Beyond Access program.
Throughout the semester, SI's are required to submit weekly meeting notes to their supervisor, as well as attend regularly scheduled meetings. These meetings include discussions regarding specific strategies that may be of assistance for individual students and suggestions for continued work with their students.
The Center makes every effort to provide a positive experience for students in our Beyond Access program and is dedicated to hiring a team that shares a passion for working with students and helping them to realize and work towards achieving their goals. We invite you to explore our program and get to know the Strategy Instructors by clicking on their names to the right!
Getting Involved in Beyond Access
Beyond Access is open to any UConn student who is interested in working with an SI to meet their academic and personal goals. Students do not need to have a disability to apply. Students must be admitted to UConn in order to apply.
Applying to Beyond Access
If you are interested in participating in the program, submit a completed Beyond Access Application. Applications are also available at the Center for Students with Disabilities (Wilbur Cross Building, Room 204). Upon submission of your application, a Beyond Access representative will contact you to discuss the next steps.
Applying for a Beyond Access Scholarship
If you have questions regarding the Beyond Access program, please contact Ashley Mills, Program Coordinator or Christine Wenzel, Associate Director, at (860) 486-2020 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Strategy Instructor availability to help students transitioning to online learning:
For the remainder of the Spring 2020 semester, Beyond Access Strategy Instructors (SIs) are available to work with both non-BA students and those enrolled in the program. BA students will continue meetings as scheduled with their SI.
For extra support - strategies and skills related to online learning, and creating good habits for working from home - students not enrolled in BA are welcome to connect with a Strategy Instructor. Please refer to the schedule provided below for SI meeting availability. To contact a Strategy Instructor, please send an email by clicking on their name. A Strategy Instructor will respond to your email and meeting request by confirming the appointment with additional information for your virtual session.