The Center for Students with Disabilities (CSD) engages in an interactive process with each student and reviews requests for accommodations on an individualized, case-by-case basis. Depending on the nature and functional limitations of a student’s documented disability, he/she may be eligible for notetaking assistance. Notetaking assistance is provided as a necessary academic accommodation and is not considered a substitute for a student’s full participation in class. Assistance is determined on a class-by-class basis and is dependent upon the nature of each course and the method of instruction as it relates to the student’s documented disability. Notes and/or recordings provided are for a student’s personal study use only and are not to be shared with other individuals.
Notetaking assistance may include:
- Receipt of peer notes from a class member;
- Technology-based assistance – use of a laptop/tablet, notetaking service, Livescribe Smart Pen, etc.;
- Permission to audio record classes;
- Receipt of instructor outlines and/or notes.
Learn more about technology based notetaking options here: http://csd.uconn.edu/notetaking/
- Meet with his/her disability service provider at the CSD to discuss the need for notetaking assistance and the appropriate method for each class;
- Meet with the CSD Tech Team to receive appropriate training if a technology-based option is used;
- Contact the CSD at (860) 486-2020 or email@example.com as soon as possible if you:
- make changes to your class schedule and no longer require assistance for previously requested classes;
- have concerns regarding the quality or timeliness of your notes if receiving peer notes;
- require additional training or have concerns with any technology.
- View and download notes from the CSD Notetaking website on a regular basis if receiving peer notes;
- Contact the CSD if you wish to communicate directly with your peer notetaker to provide feedback and/or ask questions.
- Return borrowed technology or equipment to the CSD at the end of each semester (please refer to http://csd.uconn.edu/equipment-loan-policy-and-procedure/ for additional information).
- Meet with students to determine the appropriate notetaking method for each class;
- Provide training to students using technology-based assistance;
- Assure that qualified peer notetakers are hired for students receiving copies of peer notes;
- Provide peer notetakers with information regarding how to take comprehensive notes;
- Provide the following payment for peer notetakers:
- Undergraduate course – notetaker is paid one hour per week at a rate of $15.00 per hour, per course.
- Graduate course – notetaker is paid one hour per week at a rate of $20.00 per hour, per course.
- Provide peer notetakers with procedures for uploading notes to the CSD Notetaking website;
- Provide support and assistance to students and instructors regarding notetaking assistance.
- Discuss this accommodation with the student and provide support as needed;
- Notify the CSD if comprehensive notes are available online or are made available to all students in the class;
- Assist the CSD in identifying qualified peer notetakers;
- Upon receipt of an accommodation letter from a student which indicates the need to hire a peer notetaker, make an announcement to the class that the CSD is seeking a qualified notetaker. Qualified students can check the CSD website at http://csd.uconn.edu/notetakerswanted/ for a comprehensive list of classes requiring a notetaker along with information about the hiring procedure. In order to assure confidentiality, please do not reveal the student’s name in your announcement.
- If a peer notetaker is not identified in a timely manner, assist the CSD in identifying other alternatives.
- Meet the following qualifications: cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher for undergraduates; 3.0 for graduates; regular class attendance; ability to provide typed, legible and comprehensive notes (for class notes that include diagrams or formulas, notes with legible handwriting may be scanned and uploaded as a PDF document);
- Complete a notetaker contract and employment verification form;
- Attend each class; if for any reason you cannot attend a specific class, it is your responsibility to obtain the missed notes and upload them to the CSD Notetaking website within 24 hours;
- Upload notes to the CSD Notetaking website within 24 hours after each class;
- If known, maintain the confidentiality of the identity of the student for whom you are taking notes;
- Notetakers agree not to share notes with anyone other than the student, and are not permitted to publish the notes in any form;
- Contact the CSD immediately if you are unable to continue as a notetaker so that alternate arrangements can be made.
Any questions regarding this information should be directed to Jaclyn Moriarty, Accommodations Coordinator, at (860) 486-2020 or firstname.lastname@example.org.