The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), as amended, is a federal law that affords students certain rights regarding their education records. Education records are broadly defined as those records, files, documents and other materials that contain information directly related to a student and are maintained by the University. For the purposes of FERPA, the University considers all students to be independent. Therefore, except as provided below, information from a student’s education records will not be provided to parents without the consent of the student. For additional information regarding FERPA, please refer to ferpa.uconn.edu
Please note the following:
- The Center for Students with Disabilities (CSD) is the University agent charged with the responsibility for collecting and maintaining documentation related to students’ requests for accommodations.
- Documentation provided to the CSD is deemed private and will generally be shared with others only with the express permission of the student. The University reserves the right to share such information without consent as deemed appropriate by the University, such as where there is a threat to an individual’s safety and/or an emergency situation, or as otherwise required by law.
- All documents submitted to the CSD are maintained in a secure, electronic case management system, including information about student demographics, academic programs, documentation of the condition(s), accommodations, and student contacts with the CSD.
- The CSD’s electronic case management system is hosted on a secure server and was developed and is maintained using industry best practices. The CSD’s electronic system does not share information with other databases throughout the University (e.g., PeopleSoft database, Dean of Students’ Office database, etc.).
- Any documents provided to the CSD in paper form are scanned, uploaded to the electronic case management system, and then shredded immediately.
- Access to the electronic case management system is limited to authorized CSD personnel only.
- Once a student no longer has contact with the CSD (e.g., graduates, leaves the University, etc.), student files are securely stored in accordance with the State of Connecticut’s Records Management Program, https://ctstatelibrary.org/publicrecords/state
Please contact Jennifer Lucia at (860) 486-2020 or by email with any questions.