The Center for Students with Disabilities is pleased to announce that for the spring 2017 semester, we will be offering two scholarships, each in the amount of $500, to be awarded to first year students who have a learning disability and wish to participate in the Center’s Beyond Access Program. The Beyond Access program is an opportunity for students to work smarter, not harder, in a competitive academic environment while also preparing for the life beyond college. The program offers a wide range of services that are individualized and designed to help students realize their academic and personal goals. We invite you to learn more about our Beyond Access programs by visiting: http://csd.uconn.edu/beyondaccess/
Applicants must be current University of Connecticut (UConn) students and must be enrolled in at least six credits. Applicants must also be first year students at UConn who have a documented learning disability. These one-time scholarships are for participation in the Beyond Access program for the spring 2017 semester. Students from all campuses are encouraged to apply; however, Beyond Access is a Storrs based program. Please note, this scholarship will not cover the entire cost of Beyond Access, but can be used towards the full cost of participation.
If you are a need-based financial aid recipient (loans, grants, work-study student employment) your financial aid package may be revised as a result of this award. Please contact the Office of Financial Aid at 860-486-2819 to discuss this further.
Deadline for submission is January 13, 2017
Students applying for one of the Beyond Access scholarships must be University of Connecticut students enrolled in at least six credits. Students must also be first year students and have a documented learning disability.
Process for Applying
- Complete the attached application by January 13, 2017.
- Provide a written statement on how participation in the Beyond Access Program will help you reach your academic and/or personal goals. Your statement should also address why you would not be able to participate in the program without the aid of this scholarship.
- Submit completed application and essay to :
Christine Wenzel, Assistant Director
Center for Students with Disabilities
Wilbur Cross Building, Room 204
Glenbrook Road, U-4174
Storrs, CT 06269-4174
- Applications will be reviewed by a committee made up of representatives from the following departments: The Center for Students with Disabilities, The Center for Career Development, and the Office of Student Services& Advocacy.
- Scholarship recipients will be determined based on need as well as how they feel the Beyond Access program can benefit them.
- Scholarship recipients will be notified via email by January 18, 2017.
- Once the request is received, the student’s enrollment will be verified and financial aid status will be reviewed. Financial aid status will have no bearing on the granting of an award but must be reviewed in advance to ensure that the receipt of this gift would not adversely impact the student’s aid package.